Pouto lighthouse:Erected in 1884, New Zealand’s oldest wooden lighthouse was built in an area with a history of over 150 shipwrecks. Decommissioned some years ago, it is now maintained by Heritage New Zealand.
Manukau Heads lighthouse:Built from Australian iron bark and totara, the structure at Manukau Heads is a popular tourist destination, cared for a by a local community trust.
Baring Head lighthouse:First lit in 1935, Baring Head replaced Pencarrow, New Zealand’s oldest lighthouse. It serves the dual purpose of providing coastal light and guiding ships into Wellington Harbour.
French Pass lighthouse:Sitting just three metres above sea level, this small structure was first lit in 1884. It illuminates the narrow channel between D’Urville Island and the mainland near the north-eastern tip of the South Island.
Nugget Point lighthouse:Also known as Tokata lighthouse, the structure at Nugget Point began operating in July 1870. Lighthouse keeping families faced cold and difficult living conditions at this posting but benefited from its proximity to Kaka Point township.
Puysegur Point lighthouse:Situated on the south-west extremity of Fiordland in the South Island, the original wooden structure at Puysegur Point became the victim of arson in 1942. Its cast iron replacement was one of the last stations in New Zealand to be automated.
Date of Issue: 6 March 2019